"EASTON, (or Easton Royal), a parish in the hundred of Kinwardstone, county Wilts, 3 miles E. of Pewsey, its post town, and 7 S. of Marlborough. It is situated near the river Avon. In the reign of Henry III. a priory was founded here by Stephen, Archdeacon of Salisbury, for Canons of the Trinitarian order for the redemption of poor captives. At the Dissolution its revenues were estimated at £55 14s. 4d., and the site was then given to the Seymours. The living is a donative curacy in the diocese of Salisbury, in the gift of the Marquis of Ailesbury, who is lord of the manor. The church is a plain edifice of the latter part of the 16th century, built by Edward, Earl of Hereford. It is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. The parochial charities amount to about £25 per annum. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is an endowed school for boys and girls. In the neighbourhood there are several barrows."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Common to all parishes is a White Horse Baptisms 1741-1840
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Easton Royal to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Easton Royal has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Easton Royal from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU210601 (Lat/Lon: 51.339451, -1.699405), Easton Royal which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)