"ENFORD, a parish in the hundred of Elstub and Everley, county Wilts, 7 miles S. of Pewsey, and 6 N. of Amesbury, its post town. The village is pleasantly situated on the river Avon, near a ford connecting the line of road from Warminster to Everley. It is called in Domesday Survey Enedford, and adjoins Salisbury Plain. The parish includes within its limits the tythings of Chisenbury, Combe, Compton, Enford, Fifield, Littlecott, and Long Street. The soil is a light loam, mingled with flints, and resting upon a subsoil of chalk.
The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury, value £350, in the patronage of Christ's Hospital, London. The church is a handsome modern structure, erected on the site of a former one struck by lightning in the year 1817. It is dedicated to All Saints, and is noticed by Addison in one of his poems. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. The Baptists have a place of worship. Sir Edmund Antrobus, Bart., is lord of the manor. This is a meet for Mr. T. A. Smith's hounds. In the vicinity are several barrows, in which ancient armour and earthen vessels have been found."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Common to all parishes is a Wiltshire Index Service Burials 1800-1837
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Enford to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Enford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Enford from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU141513 (Lat/Lon: 51.260565, -1.799913), Enford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)