"FOVANT, a parish in the hundred of Cawden, county Wilts, 6 miles S.W. of Wilton, and 10 W. of Salisbury, its post town. The Dinton station, on the Salisbury and Exeter branch of the London and South-Western railway, is 2 miles N.E. of the village. The river Avon flows-through the parish. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £465. The church, an ancient edifice with a tower of noble proportions, is dedicated to St. George, and has an antique brass. The register commences in 1541. The charities are about £2 per annum.' There is a National school."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Common to all parishes is a IGI Chr 1816-1836 Batch C077781 (RG4 2369)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Fovant to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Fovant has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU007285 (Lat/Lon: 51.0555, -1.992087), Fovant which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)