"GREAT CHEVERELL, a parish in the hundred of Swanborough, in the county of Wilts., 5 miles S.W. of Devizes. The manor belongs to Heytesbury hospital. The living is, a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury, value £353, in the patronage of the Rev. R. M. Atkinson, incumbent. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. The charities produce about £15 a year."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Great Cheverell is also known as Cheverell Magna.
Common to all parishes is a Wiltshire Index Service Burials 1653-1837
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Great Cheverell to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Great Cheverell has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Great Cheverell from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST973531 (Lat/Lon: 51.276674, -2.039552), Great Cheverell which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)