"GRITTLETON, a parish in the hundred of Damerham, county Wilts, 3 miles E. of Nettleton, and 6 N.W. of Chippenham, its post town. It is situated near the borders of Gloucestershire, on the old Roman road, Ackman Street, leading from Bath to Cirencester. The parish includes the hamlet of Foscot. The Gore and Houlton families formerly possessed the manor. The tithes were commuted for a rent-charge of £419. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £389. The church is an ancient edifice, dedicated to St. Mary. The parochial charities produce about £9 per annum. The Baptists have a chapel, which has an endowment of nearly. £40 yearly. Fossil fish and other diluvial remains have been found. Sir John Neild, Bart., is lord of the manor, whose seat is Grittleton House."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
If you have been unable to find the 1841 census for this parish, Wiltshire and Swindon Archives website provides the answer as one of their Wiltshire History Questions.
Common to all parishes is a National Burial Index 1573-1837
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Grittleton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Grittleton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST863801 (Lat/Lon: 51.519476, -2.19851), Grittleton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)