"HIGHWAY, a parish in the hundred of Potterne, county Wilts, 4½ miles N.E. of Calne, its post town, and 5 S. of Wootton Basset. The village consists of a few farmhouses. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £165. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the vicarage* of Bremhill, in the diocese of Sarum. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. Augustus Henry Tongs, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Common to all parishes is a VRI Chr 1606-1906, Mar 1606-1904
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Highway to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Highway has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Highway from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU048742 (Lat/Lon: 51.46692, -1.932692), Highway which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)