"PATNEY, a parish in the hundred of Elstub, county Wilts, 6 miles S.E. of Devizes, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Avon, and is wholly agricultural. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1778. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Sarum, value £225, in the patronage of the Bishop of Winchester. The church, dedicated to St. Swithin, is an ancient edifice, with a wooden spired tower containing three bells. There is a National school. Lord Radnor is lord of the manor and chief landowner."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Patney is 5 miles SE of Devizes. Grid Ref SU073585. Population 144 in 1831, 133 in 1951.
If you have been unable to find the 1841 census for this parish, Wiltshire and Swindon Archives website provides the answer as one of their Wiltshire History Questions.
Common to all parishes is a National Burial Index 1592-1837
- A transcription of the section for Patney from the National Gazetteer (1868).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Patney to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Patney has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Patney from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU076593 (Lat/Lon: 51.333051, -1.892438), Patney which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)