"PERTWOOD, a parish in the hundreds of Warminster and Dunworth, county Wilts, 2 miles N.W. of Hindon, its post town, and 6½ S. of Warminster. The village, which consists of two or three farmhouses, is situated on Pertwood Down, and is wholly agricultural. The parish is traversed by the road between Shaftesbury and Warminster. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £70, and the glebe comprises 10 acres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Sarum, value £56. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, has a tower containing one bell."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Pertwood or Upper Pertwood is 2 miles NW of Hindon. Grid Ref ST888357. Population 29 in 1831.
Common to all parishes is a Church Records and Indexes for Wiltshire, including a complete Marriage Index for the county.
Indexes and registers of the parish church of Pertwood, St Peter:
(united to Chicklade, 1922)
- A transcription of the section for Pertwood from the National Gazetteer (1868).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Pertwood to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Pertwood has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Pertwood from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST890357 (Lat/Lon: 51.120657, -2.158299), Pertwood which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)