"POULSHOT, a parish in the hundred of Melksham, county Wilts, 3½ miles S.W. of Devizes, its post town, and 7 S.E. of Melksham. The village, which is small, is situated at the extremity of a green; the high road intersecting the parish. The inhabitants are wholly engaged in agriculture. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £380, and the glebe comprises 80 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Sarum, value £463, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, has a stone tower containing three bells. It has recently been restored at the expense of the rector, and stands about a mile S. of the village. There is a National school for both sexes. Walter Long, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Poulshot is 4 miles SW of Devizes. Grid Ref ST970595. Population 348 in 1831, 309 in 1951.
Dixon, Nora - Down Poulshot, Poulshot Parish Trust, 2002.
Provides a history of the village. BBC Wiltshire Villages describe the book, with interviews. It is available from Devizes Books, Handel House, Sidmouth St, Devizes, Wilts, SN10 1LD, and from the Devizes Visitor Centre.
Common to all parishes is a Wiltshire Index Service Burials 1800-1812
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Poulshot to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Poulshot has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Poulshot from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST963600 (Lat/Lon: 51.339484, -2.054015), Poulshot which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)