"EAST WELLOW, a parish, partly in the hundred of Thorngate, county Hants, and partly in the hundred of Amesbury, county Wilts, 4 miles S.W. of Romsey. It is a scattered village situated between the two roads from Southampton to Salisbury. The living is a vicarage,* united with that of West Wellow, joint value £250. The church is dedicated to St. Margaret. The register dates from 1570. There are National and infant schools. W. E. Nightingale, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner.
WEST WELLOW, a parish in the hundred of Amesbury, county Wilts, 4½ miles N. of Romsey, and 1 mile S.E. of East Willow, with which it is united for ecclesiastical purposes. There is no church."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
West Wellow was at the South-East tip of Wiltshire, was later in Hampshire, and is 11 miles SE of Salisbury, and 4 miles SW of Romsey (Hampshire). Grid Ref SU292188. Postcode SO51 6RF. Population 394 in 1831.
Common to all parishes is a Wiltshire Index Service Burials 1800-1837
- A transcription of the section for West Wellow from the National Gazetteer (1868).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from West Wellow to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which West Wellow has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU292194 (Lat/Lon: 50.973422, -1.585808), West Wellow which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)