"ZEALS, a tything and ecclesiastical district in the parish of Mere, county Wilts, 1½ mile S.W. of Mere, 7 W. of Hindon, and 4 from Gillingham railway station. The village is built round a green, locally situated on the borders of the three counties of Wilts, Dorset, and Somerset, and has recently been constituted a separate ecclesiastical district. The principal residence is Zeals House, the ancient seat of the Grove family, one of whom, then owner of the mansion, was executed in 1655 for having joined with Penruddock in an attempt to restore Charles II. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Salisbury, value £80, in the patronage of the Vicar of Mere. The church is dedicated to St. Martin."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Zeals is 19 miles South West of Warminster, 15 miles North West of Shaftesbury (Dorset). Grid Ref ST781317. Postcode BA12 6NL. Population 510 in 1831, 467 in 1951. Zeals was a chapelry in Mere until 1848.
Common to all parishes is a description of Church Records and Indexes for Wiltshire, including a complete Marriage Index for the county.
Indexes and registers of the parish church of Zeals, St Martin:
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Zeals to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Zeals has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Zeals from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST781317 (Lat/Lon: 51.084195, -2.314036), Zeals which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)