LEIGH - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"LEIGH, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Pershore, county Worcester, 5 miles S.W. of Worcester, and 9 N.W. of Upton. The parish, which is very extensive, is situated on the river Teme. The surface is varied. The land is partly in hop-ground. The principal residence is Leigh Court. The inhabitants are wholly engaged in agricultural pursuits. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent charge of £695, and the rectorial for £330.
The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester, value £312. The parish church, dedicated to St. Edburgh, is an ancient structure with a tower at the W. end. In a recess over the N. doorway is a sculptured figure representing our Saviour. It has a chapel at the W. end called Braunsford's Chancel, which is divided from the S. aisle by an ancient carved and gilt screen of antique workmanship; there is also a richly-painted E. window and Norman font. The chancel contains monuments of the Devereux family.
In addition to the parish church, there is also a district church, dedicated to St. Matthias, at the Link, value £100, in the patronage of the bishop; also a chapel-of-ease at Bransford. The parochial charities produce about £64 per annum, which goes to the endowed school. There are chapels belonging to the Huntingdonians and Wesleyans. The Earl Somers is lord of the manor."
"BROCKAMIN, a hamlet in the parish of Leigh, hundred of Pershore, in the county of Worcester, 5 miles to the W. of Worcester."
"CHOCKNELL, a hamlet in the parish of Leigh, in the county of Worcester, 6 miles W. of Worcester. It was formerly a separate parish."
"HILL-END, a hamlet in the parish of Leigh, county Worcester, 4 miles S.W. of Worcester."
"LINK-END, a hamlet in the parish of Leigh, county Worcester, 4 miles W. of Worcester. Malvern is its post town. The living is a perpetual curacy* [the asterisk denotes that there is a parsonage and glebe belonging to the living] in the diocese of Worcester, value £100."
"SANDLIN, a hamlet in the parish of Leigh, county Worcester, 6 miles S.W. of Worcester."
"SHERRIDGE, a hamlet in the parish of Leigh, county Worcester, 5 miles S.W. of Worcester."
"UPPER HOWSELL, (and Lower Howsell) hamlets in the parish of Leigh, county Worcester, 6 miles S.W. of Worcester.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]