COTTINGHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"COTTINGHAM, a parish in the Hunsley Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, in the East Riding of the county of York, 4 miles N.W. of Hull. It is a station on the Scarborough and Hull section of the North-Eastern railway. It was anciently a market town and place of considerable importance, having an Austin canonry, founded in 1325, and a strong moated castle, called Stuteville's, or Baynard Castle, once the seat of the lords Wake. The oft-told story of the burning of this castle in 1541 appears to be a pure fiction, for when Leland visited Cottingham, in 1538, he found it a complete ruin at that time. It contains the townships of Duns well and Newland, which now forms the consolidated chapelry of Newland, and the district of Haltem Price, the site of the ancient priory. Near the village of Cottingham are several handsome residences of the Hull merchants. There are large market gardens for the supply of the Hull market. The Bishop of Chester is both the rector and patron of Cottingham, and the owner of the great tithes, though the parish is in the diocese of York. The value of the vicarage is about £260, having been twice Improved while the late Dr. Sumner was Bishop of Chester. There is also a district church at Newland, the living of which is a perpetual curacy The parish church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure of the 13th century, and has a fine tower. It contains tombs of the Burton family, and a very perfect brass effigy of Nicholas de Luda, for twenty years Rector of Cottingham. He was presented to the living by the Black Prince, and died on 6th June, 1383. In the vicinity is an intermitting spring, which flows once only every two or three years. An annual fair is held on the 11th November."
"DUNSWELL, a hamlet in the parish of Cottingham, in the East Riding of the county of York, 3 miles S.E. of Beverley. It is situated near the river Hull."
"NEWLAND, a hamlet in the parish of Cottingham, Hunsley-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, East Riding county York, 2 miles N.W. of Hull. It consists chiefly of small dairy farms. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £85. The church is a small modern edifice. A chapel-of-ease was erected here in 1833, at an expense of £1,650. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans, also a school with a small endowment."
"WILLERBY, a township in the parishes of Cottingham and Kirk-Ella, East Riding county York, 5 miles N.W. of Hull."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013