DUNNINGTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"DUNNINGTON, a parish in the wapentake of Ouse and Derwent, in the East Riding of the county of York, 3 miles N. of Heslington, and 4½ E. of York, its post town. It is situated to the W. of the river Derwent, and contains the townships of Dunnington and Grimston. The high road from York to Stamford Bridge here separates the East from the North Riding. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York, value £349, in the patronage of Earl Brownlow. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is an ancient structure, with tower and stained-glass windows. The charities amount to £75, of which £62 is for church purposes. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel, and there is a National school for both sexes. Sir Edward Dodsworth, Bart., is lord of the manor."
"GRIMSTON, a township in the parish of Dunnington, wapentake of Ouse and Derwent, East Riding county York, 3 miles E. of York."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013