Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

hide
Hide
Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: BARLBY.     Church dedication: CHAPEL.

Ouse and Derwent wapentake. -Population, vide Hemingbrough *1; Church-room, sufficient ; Net value, £65.

Barlby contained ten carucates of land, where twelve make a knight's fee, which William de Aton held of the Bishop of Durham by knight's service, and he held them of the king in capite by no rent.

This is a Chapel in the parish of Hemingbrough, but having been augmented by Queen Anne's bounty it is now become a Benefice.

Patron, the Vicar of Hemingbrough.

Valued in 1818 at £78 per annum ; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 314, it is recommended to be made a parish, and Osgodby united to it.

Augmented in 1726, with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from Mr. John Vicars and Mr. Thomas Dalby ; and in 1759, with £200; in 1786, with £200; and in 1809, with £200 -all by lot.

A faculty was granted on the 6th June, 1778, to take down and re-build the Chapel, and on the 11th May, 1780, a confirmation was made of allotment of pews in the Chapel.

No glebe house.

The Registers are included in Hemingbrough.

Charities:
Caulem's dole. Rent of a garth or croft, containing 1a. 30r. whereon a house formerly stood. Distributed among the poor, and chiefly to widows.

Porritt's dole. Rent of 3r. 2p. of land. Distributed as above.

Walker's dole. Ancient rent charge of 10s. per annum. Distributed as above.

Charity:
or Education. (Donor unknown.) Rent of one acre of land, paid to a schoolmaster who instructs six poor children. The boys to read, and the girls to read, knit, and sew. -Vide 10th Report, page 666.

Post town: Selby.


References:
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 1285. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. iii. page 176. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Bardulbi), pages 62. 187.


Notes:
*1 Returned at 391 in 1834.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.