Hornsea, Yorkshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1834.
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.
"HORNSEA, is a small market town, in the parish of its name, in the northern division of the wapentake of Holderness, East Riding, 193 miles from London, 16.5 s.e. from Driffield, 16 n. by e. from Hull, 15 s. from Bridlington, and 13 n.e. from Beverley. It is a place of considerable resort in the bathing season ; situated within three quarters of a mile of the German ocean, a distance which the encroachments of the sea have been constantly diminishing for several years past, at the rate of three yards and a half per annum. Not many years since a part of this place, called Hornsea Beck, was entirely washed away by the sea ; and tradition asserts, that the same fate befell a village called Hide, which stood at the distance of ten miles from this town. On the western side is a beautiful and extensive lake, covering more than 400 acres, interspersed with several small well-wooded islands, the resort of wild ducks and other aquatic birds. The banks form a delightful promenade, and the lake is well stored with fresh-water fish of every description. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is a spacious antique edifice : the living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the crown. Races are held here annually, between the 17th and 24th of July. At a short distance from the village is a fine chalybeate spring. The country around is pleasing -- in the neighbourhood of the mere very picturesque ; and within a short walk are some delightful prospects. The market, which is entitled to be holden on Monday, is falling rapidly into disuse. The fairs are, August 13th and December 18th, for horses and cattle. The parish of Hornsea, including the hamlet of Burton, contained, by the census taken in 1831, 780 inhabitants, being fewer by ten than were in it in 1821."
[Transcribed by Steve Garton ©2000 from
Pigot's directory (Yorkshire section) 1834]