SCAMPSTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1892.
Wapentake and Petty Sessional Division of Buckrose - County Council Electoral Division of Rillington - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Malton - Rural Deanery of Settrington - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.
Scampston, formerly a chapelry under Rillington, was severed therefrom a few years ago, and constituted a distinct parish. Its total superficial extent is 2,412 acres, rateable value £2,932, and the number of inhabitants in 1891 was 244. The soil is a variable mixture of sand and loam, the subsoil clay and gravel. W. H. St. Quintin, Esq., is lord of the manor and owner of the whole township.
The village is situated about six miles north-east of Malton, and one-and-a-half miles south-west of Rillington station on the York and Scarborough branch of the North-Eastern railway. Its name is variously written in ancient documents, Scamestun, Skameston, Skameston, and Skampston, and has probably been derived from a personal name. The church was rebuilt in 1845-6, in place of an old one which dated from Norman times, but was in such a dilapidated condition that its restoration was impossible. The present edifice, which is dedicated to St. Martin, is in the Early Decorated style of architecture, and consists of chancel, nave, two aisles, south porch, and open bell turret containing two bells. The cost, about £2,000, was defrayed by William St. Quintin, Esq., the then lord of the manor. On each side of the nave is an arcade of four pointed arches dividing it from the aisles. All the interior fittings and furniture are of oak. There is no burial ground; the dead are interred at Rillington. The living is a new vicarage, in the gift of A. J. Cholmley, Esq., of Newton Hall, and held by the Rev. Theodore Williams, M.A., of Wadham College, Oxford. Its annual value is £60, but this is supplemented by £100 given by the lord of the manor.
The National School is a low mean building, erected in 1840, for the accommodation of 50 children. It is mixed, and under the charge of a mistress.
SCAMPSTON HALL, the seat of William Herbert St. Quintin, Esq., J.P., is a handsome mansion, situated in an extensive and well-wooded park, whose beauty is enhanced by a rivulet which flows through it, and expands into a broad sheet of water in front of the house. The park is stocked with deer. The ancient and honourable family of St. Quintin take their name from the town of St. Quintin in Normandy. One of them, Sir Herbert St. Quintin, accompanied the Conqueror to England, and fought at the battle of Hastings. He received large grants of land in Yorkshire and settled at Harpham, which continued to be the chief residence of the family till their removal to Scampston. In 1641, Sir William St. Quintin, Knt., was created a baronet by Charles I., but the baronetcy expired on the death of another Sir William, without issue in 1795. He was succeeded by his nephew, William Thomas Darby, Esq., who assumed the surname and arms of St. Quintin, and was the grandfather of the present owner. The family vault is in Harpham Church, where may be seen, represented in stained glass, the arms of 28 successive St. Quintins, impaling those of the families into which they married. They were executed at the expense of the last baronet.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of East Yorkshire (1892)]
- Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1892.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.