Hide

SCRAYINGHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"SCRAYINGHAM, a parish in the wapentake of BUCKROSE, East riding of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelry of Leppington, and the townships of Howsham and Scrayingham, and containing 511 inhabitants, of which number, 157 are in the township of Scrayingham, 9 miles N.N.W. from Pocklington. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £21. 11. 103., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. Peter."


"HOWSHAM, a township in the parish of SCRAYINGHAM, wapentake of BUCK.ROSE, East riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles S.S.W. from New Malton, containing 225 inhabitants."


"LEPPINGTON, a chapelry in the parish of SCRAYINGHAM, wapentake of BUCKROSE, East riding of the county of YORK, 8 miles S.W. from New Malton, containing 129 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, endowed with an estate vested in ten trustees, who appoint the minister. The chapel was originally a chantry chapel belonging to the abbey of Missenden."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]