Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: SWINE. Church dedication: ST. MARY. Church type: Discharged Vicarage.
Area, 13,530 acres. Holderness wapentake, M.D. *1 - Population, 1,603 *2; Church-room, 500 *3; Net value, £102. -The manor of Swine was held of the Archbishops of York by knight's service, and annual rent of £4. 12s. 20., by the family of the Hiltons, knights.
At the time of Domesday Survey, there was a priest at Swine, but no Church.
The Church was given by Robert de Verti to the Priory of Swine, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein, 8th January 1538.
In 1670 Viscount Hereford presented. In 1681 the patronage devolved upon the Thorntons, who presented until 1705, when it came into the Moorhouse family by purchase, and they presented in 1776.
Torre says, on 11th August 1410, the day of the dedication of the parish Church of Swyne was translated from the 7th of August (by reason of harvest time) to the Sunday next before the Feast of St. Margaret, the Virgin and Martyr, and then to be celebrated every year with great solemnity.
Present patrons, the representatives of W. Wilberforce, Esq.
Impropriator, the Earl of Shaftesbury.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £53. 6s. 8d.; in the King's books, the Vicarage is valued at £8; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. pages 238. 244, it is stated : " £14. 13s. 4d. paid by impropriators ;" -and in 1818, at £54 per annum.
Augmented in 1784, with 2001., to meet benefaction of £200 from Mayson Wright, merchant ; and in 1816, with £1,200 from the Parliamentary grant, by lot.
Decrees in the Exchequer, in Easter Term, 4th Car. II., and in Michaelmas Term, 19th Car. II., as to tithes, are unreported.
The impropriators are bound to provide herbage sufficient for two of the Vicar's horses yearly in summer time, to run from the Feast of the Invention of the Holy Cross to the Feast of Saint Michael the Archangel, with deliverance of sufficient fodder for the same horses into the Vicar's stable.
11th December 1786, faculty to rebuild the steeple, but of reduced height.
Inclosure Acts were passed 11th Geo. III. (Long Riston and Arnold), and 29th Geo. III. (Coniston.)
No glebe house.
The Register Books for baptisms and burials commence in 1706, and for marriages in 1733.
Mrs. Lamb's charity, settled in her life-time. Dividends on £200 three per cent. consols, to be paid to the schoolmaster half-yearly for instructing six poor children of the township reading, writing, and accounts ; and by deed, she appointed the lord of the manor and the Vicar of Swine, both for the time being, trustees thereof. -Vide 10th Report, page 663.
Post town: Hull.
Torre's MS.. page 1459. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 163. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Benincol), pages 177; (Billetone), 59. 183; (Coneghestone), 176 ; (Alverdebi), 182. 243 ; (Gagenestad), 183; (Merutone), 177; (Rugheton), 177 ; (Schireslai), 176, 177 ; (Swine), 44; (Turchilebi), 196. Burton's Monasticon, page 253. Thompson's History of the Church of Swine. Gentleman's Magazine, vol. xcv. pages 299. 491.
*1 And extends into the North Division.
*2 Viz. Benningholme and Grange, 105; Bilton, 105; Coniston, 116; Ellerby, 251; Ganstead, 79 ; Marton, 126; North Skirlaugh and Rowton, 210; South Skirlaugh, 228; Swine, 231; Thirtleby, 59; and Wyton, 93. -In 1834, the population, exclusive of Skirlaugh, was returned at 1,125. Part of the township of Arnold is in this parish, and the remainder in the parish of Riston.
*3 In 1818, returned at 1,330.
THE PRIORY. - This Cistercian Nunnery was founded in the time of King Stephen, by Robert de Verti, for a Prioress and fourteen or fifteen Nuns.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.