Hide

SWINE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"SWINE, a parish in the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelries of Bilton and South Skirlaugh, and the townships of Benningholme with Grange, Coniston, Ellerby, Ganstead, Marton, Swine, Thirtleby, and Wyton, in the middle, and the joint township of North Skirlaugh with Rowton, in the northern, division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, and containing 1604 inhabitants, of which number, 229 are in the township of Swine, 6 miles N.N.E. from Kingston upon Hull. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £8, endowed with £200 private benefaction, £200 royal bounty, and £1200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of W. Wilberforce, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is partly in the early, and partly in the later, style of English architecture. Six poor children are educated for £6 a year, the bequest of Mrs. Lamb. A nunnery of the Cistercian order, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, was founded here, in the reign of Stephen, by Robert de Verli, which at the dissolution possessed a revenue of £134. 6. 9."


"BENNINGHOLME, a township, joint with Grange, in that part of the parish of SWINE, which is in the middle division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, 9 miles S.E. from Beverley, containing, with Grange, 97 inhabitants."


"BILTON, a chapelry in that part of the parish of SWINE, which is in the middle division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.E. from Kingston upon Hull, containing 91 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, endowed with £400 private benefaction, and £800 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Hon. and Rev. W. H. Dawnay. The chapel is dedicated to St. Peter."


"CONISTON, a township in that part of the parish of SWINE, which is in the middle division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles N.N.E. from Kingston upon Hull, containing 137 inhabitants."


"ELLERBY, a township in that part of the parish of SWINE, which is in the middle division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles N.N.E. from Kingston upon Hull, containing 233 inhabitants."


"GANSTEAD, a township in that part of the parish of SWINE, which is in the middle division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.N.E. from Kingston upon Hull, containing 61 inhabitants."


"MARTON, a township in that part of the parish of SWINE, which is in the middle division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, 9 miles N.N.E. from Kingston upon Hull, containing 129 inhabitants. There is a Roman Catholic chapel."


"NORTH SKIRLAUGH, a chapelry in that part of the parish of SWINE, which is in the northern division of the-svapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, 9 miles N.N.E. from Kingston upon Hull, containing, with the township of Rowton, and part of that of Arnold, 260 inhabitants. The chapel, dedicated to St. Augustine, was built by Walter Skirlaw, Bishop of Durham; it is an elegant specimen of the later English style. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."


"ROWTON, a township, joint with North Skirlaugh, in that part of the parish of SWINE, which is in the northern division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, 9 miles N.E. from Beverley. The population is returned with North Skirlaugh."


"SOUTH SKIRLAUGH, a chapelry in that part of the parish of SWINE, which is in the middle division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, 8 miles N.N.E. from Kingston upon Hull, containing 211 inhabitants. Marmaduke Langdale, about. 1609, bequeathed £200, directing the interest to be applied for teaching and apprenticing children, and other charitable purposes."


"THIRTLEBY, a township in that part of the parish of SWINE, which is in the middle division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles N.E. from Kingston upon Hull, containing 61 inhabitants."


"WYTON, a township in that part of the parish of SWINE, which is in the middle division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles E.N.E. from Kingston upon Hull, containing 95 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]