Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

hide
Hide
Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: YEDINGHAM.     Church dedication: SAINT JOHN BAPTIST.     Church type: Vicarage in charge.

Area, 1,150 acres. Buckrose wapentake. -Population, 109 *1; Church-room, sufficient *2 ; Net value, £205. -This Church was given to the Priory at Yeddingham by Anketin de Heslerton, and was appropriated to it, and a Vicarage ordained therein, 7th Id. August 1231, and on 4th Non. January 1306, there was a further ordination.

The Advowson passed through various hands until it came to the Marquis of Rockingham, who presented the Rev. John Ward in 1767 ; and Earl Fitzwilliam is the present patron.

Impropriator, Mark Foulis, Esq.

The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's first taxation, at £6. 13s. 4d.; new taxation, £5; Vicarage, £5; new taxation, £3. 6s. 8d.; and in the King's books, at £5. 4s. 1½d. per annum ; Synodals, 2s.; and Procurations, 7s. 6d.

The Vicar has tithe of garbs in West Heslerton belonging to Yeddingham.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Registers for baptisms and burials commence in 1717, and for marriages in 1758. -Vide earlier transcripts at York.

Parochial Charities. -No return.

A post town.


References:
Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 129. Torre's MS., page 825. Eastmead's Rievallensis, page 351. Mon. Angl., vol. iv. page 273. Burton's Mon., pages 285, 286.


Notes:
*1 In 1834, the Population was returned at 119.

*2 For the Population, 119. -Vide return in 1834.


Other information:
YEDDINGHAM NUNNERY. - A small Monastery founded for Benedictine Nuns, by Heliwesia de Clere, before the year 1168. On the 17th Kal., September 1241, the Convent was dedicated to the Virgin Mary ; and the anniversary of the day of dedication was appointed to be for ever observed as a holiday in the parish, and forty days' pardon granted to all persons, who out of devotion, came thither to solemnize the same on the octaves thereof.

In the ancient notices, this Nunnery is frequently termed Little Maries, or De Parvo Marisco.

The Nuns had a grange at Yeddingham, with a court walled in, and a garden upon the river Derwent. They had also possessions at Allerston, Ebberston Hill, Little Maries, Marton, Marton super Ripam in Pickering Lythe, Rillington, Sivelington *3, Snainton, Wilton, and Yeddingham.

Annual value, at the Dissolution, £21. 16s. 8d.

There were delivered in this house, to the Prioress and Convent, sixty-two loaves daily ; to nine brethren, twelve loaves a-piece weekly ; to brother James, fourteen loaves ; to three priests, four chaplains, and other officers accordingly ; and canibus in singulis maneriis trigenta novem panes de pane duriori-i.e., to the dogs in each manor, thirty-nine loaves of the coarser sort of bread. These are supposed to have been wolf-dogs, which were kept to protect both cattle, inhabitants, and travellers from those fierce animals.

Mon. Angl., vol. iv. page 273. Burton's Monasticon, page 285. Hinderwell's Scarborough, page 319.

*3 Alias Sinnington.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.