ALNE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"ALNE, a parish, in the wapentake of Bulmer, in the North Riding, and partly in the liberty of St. Peter of York, 4 miles to the S.W. of Easingwold, and 11 miles N. of York. It is a station on the York and Berwick railway. The parish contains the townships of Aldwark, Alne, Flawith, Tholthorp, Tollerton, and Youlton. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value with the curacy of Aldwark, £415, in the patronage of Sir C. Codrington. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel here. There are charities amounting to £47. Alne House is the principal seat."
"ALDWARK, a township in the parish of Alne, wapentake of Bulmer, in the North Riding of the county of York, 11 miles to the N.W. of York. It is situated on the river Ouse, which is here crossed by Aldwark Bridge. The living is a curacy united with Alney."
"FLAWITH, a township in the parish of Alne, wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding, county York, 1 mile W. of the village of Alne, and 4 S.W. of Easingwold. It is situated near the river Ouse."
"THOLTHORPE, a township in the parish of Alne, wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 4 miles W. of Easingwold, and 5 E. of Boroughbridge. The village is situated on a branch of the river Ouse, and near the Great North of England railway. About 1 mile distance from the village is "Ten-Mile Hill." The common was enclosed in 1800, There are a village school, and a chapel for the Wesleyans, at which a Sunday-school is also held. W. F. Webb, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"TOLLERTON, a township in the parish of Alne, wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 4 miles S. of Easingwold, and 9¾ from York. It is a station on the North-Eastern railway. The village is situated near the banks of the small river Kyle, where, in 1815, part of an ancient vessel was discovered. There are brick and tile kilns, and flax and corn mills. The Wesleyans have a chapel, at which a Sunday-school is held. There is a day-school for both sexes. The soil is of various qualities, with a subsoil of clay. Sir G. 0. Wombwell, Bait., is lord of the manor. A fair for the sale of sheep, cattle, &c., is held on the 15th August."
"YOULTON, a township in the parish of Alne, North Riding county York, 6 miles S.W. of Easingwold, on the Ouseburn, a branch of the river Ouse. *
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013