CATTERICK: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1750.
"CATTERICK, a parish in the North Riding of Yorkshire, near Richmond, has a bridge over the Swale, and there is a sort of cataract near it, from which it seems to have derived its ancient name Caturracton, in Ptolomy, from whom it appears to have been a great city in the time of the Romans, one of whose highways crosses the r. here. On the banks of it, are foundations of great walls, like those of a castle, and a huge mount, with the appearance of 4 bulwarks, cast up, with great labour, to a vast height. The final destruction of this city was by the Danes."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Stephen Whatley's England's Gazetteer, 1750]