HORNBY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"HORNBY, a parish in the wapentake of East Hang, North Riding county York, 5 miles S.W. of Catterick, its post town, 5 N.W. of Bedale, and 9 S.E. of Richmond. It contains the townships of Hackforth and Ainderby-Myers with Holtby. The inhabitants are principally employed in agriculture. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ripon, value £135. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone structure with a square tower containing four bells. The interior of the church contains a carved oak screen, two marble effigies of unknown date, and a monument to the Darcy family bearing date 1572, also numerous brasses to the Conyers family. The register dates from 1582. The parochial charities produce about £8 Is. Hornby Castle is the seat of the Duke of Leeds, who is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The interior of the castle contains a choice collection of paintings, and, the adjacent grounds and park are very extensive. This noble residence was formerly the seat of the St. Quintins, by whom it was built."
"AINDERBY MYERS, a township joined with Holtby, in the parish of Hornby, wapentake of Hang, in the North Riding of the county of York, lying 3 miles to the N.W. of Bedale. It had formerly a chantry."
"HACKFORD, (or Hackforth), a township in the parish of Hornby, wapentake of East Hang, North Riding county York, 1½ mile from Hornby, and 4 miles S. of Catterick. There is a parochial school, which has an endowment of about £24, also a Sunday-school with an endowment of £3, both by the Duke of Leeds, who is lord of the manor and sole landowner."
"HOLTBY, a hamlet in the parish of Hornby, wapentake of East Hang, North Riding county York, 2 miles N. of Bedale. It is connected with the township of Ainderby-Myers."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013