Scarborough Albemarle Baptist Church History
Scarborough Albemarle Baptist Church History up to 1912.
SCARBOROUGH, ALBEMARLE BAPTIST CHURCH
The Albemarle Church, Scarborough, was founded in 1863, through circumstances already related. Dr. Acworth was among the forty-one persons who, on March 6th, 1864, separated themselves for worship, on which day they observed the Lord's Supper on the basis of an open communion. The Rev. James Lewitt accepted the pastorate, and under his leadership the Albemarle Church was built, which was opened on July 23rd, 1867. The work being followed with the divine blessing, the members soon found the necessity of building school premises and a caretaker's cottage, a task accomplished in 1868.
At the close of Mr. Lewitt's labours (1875), the Church had grown in member-ship from forty-seven to one hundred and eighty-three. There followed him the Revs. W. H. Tetley, W. T. Adey, and W. J. Parker. In 1892, Rev. Robert Wood began a ministry which continued eleven years, during which the membership was increased to 343. New institutions were established, the schools enlarged and pew rents abolished. During the present pastorate of Rev. J. N. Britton the Church has continued to grow and expand.
from the "Present Churches" section of
The Baptists of Yorkshire
by Rev. J. Brown Morgan
and Rev. C.E. Shipley