Scarborough Columbus Ravine Baptist Church History
Scarborough Columbus Ravine Baptist Church History up to 1912.
SCARBOROUGH, COLUMBUS RAVINE BAPTIST CHURCH
The Columbus Ravine Church is an evidence of Albemarle's activity. The Victoria Park estate being under building development, a site was secured in the heart of the new district, and,
in 1904, the purchase money was paid. During the next two years Albemarle set her own house in order, by paying off her school debt and thoroughly renovating her own premises. In 1907, the £1000 for the newly purchased site was in hand and a building scheme inaugurated.
The foundation stones were laid on May 4th, 1910, and the building opened on May 3rd, 1911. It seated 600 worshippers; the cost was £2600, of which sum a debt of only 500 remained. A call for volunteers to undertake the new work resulted in the setting apart of forty-five members from Albemarle for this purpose, and from this company deacons were duly chosen. The Church remains linked with Albemarle, the funds, though kept in separate accounts, being the concern of both Churches. Columbus Ravine is a striking testimony to the possibilities which lie within reach of a Church whose members are eager to extend the Kingdom of Jesus Christ.
from the "Present Churches" section of
The Baptists of Yorkshire
by Rev. J. Brown Morgan
and Rev. C.E. Shipley