Wapentake of Langbaurgh (West Division) - Electoral and Petty Sessional Division of Yarm - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Middlesbrough - Rural Deanery of Stokesley - Archdeaconry of Stokesley - Diocese of York.
This parish includes the townships of Stainton, Ingleby Barwick, Hemlington, and Maltby, containing a total area of 6,041 acres and 685 inhabitants. The township from which the parish takes its name comprises 2,306 acres, and had in 1881 a population of 337. Its rateable value is £2,598. The soil is loamy, resting on clay. The great Whin Dyke, which runs from Cockfield, in the county of Durham, to near the Peak on the Yorkshire coast, and forms one of the most interesting features of the geology of the district, can be traced through Stainton, where it is quarried for road material. The principal landowners are the Earl of Harewood, J. S. Pennyman, Esq., J.P., Ormesby Hall, and Captain Robert Calverley A. Bewicke, D.L., of Coulby Manor.
The village is situated in a narrow dale, five miles N. by W. of Stokesley. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient stone building in a mixed style of architecture, and consists of nave, chancel, transept, south porch, and tower with crocketed pinnacles, containing three bells. The fabric underwent considerable repairs in 1810, and in 1861 the chancel was thoroughly restored and the nave re-seated, and its interior appearance improved by the removal of an unsightly gallery, The chancel is adorned by a beautiful reredos, erected by Mrs. Bewicke Bewicke, in memory of her father, the Rev. William Gooch, who held the vicarage 42 years, and died in 1876. It is a very fine specimen of wood carving, with painted panels, executed in Munich. The east window, of three lights, is a memorial of Robinson Watson, of Maltby, and Mary, his wife. In the transept is a three-light stained glass window erected by the parishioners in memory of the Rev. William Henry Elliott, M.A., late vicar, who died in 1884. In the church lie buried many generations of the Pennymans, of Ormesby, and several marble monuments of the family adorn the walls of the spacious chancel. This church was given by Robert de Brus to Guisborough Priory, to which it was appropriated, and a vicarage ordained. After the dissolution of religious houses, Henry VIII. granted the rectory and advowson to the Archbishop of York, in whose patronage they still remain. The vicarial income was at that time rated at £5 14s. 2d. ; its present net value is about £300, including 75 acres of glebe, with residence, The Rev. F. W. Pudsey, of St. Alban's Hall, Oxford, was presented to the vicarage on the death of the Rev. W. H. Elliott. The registers commence in 1551.
There is a Wesleyan Chapel in the village, built in 1840, but in consequence of the diminished number of members by deaths and removals, it is new virtually disused.
A School Board of seven members was formed in 1875 for the united district of Hemlington, Maltby, and Stainton, and the following year the present school was erected at a cost of £1,353. The average attendance for the past year was 57. Six scholars are taught gratuitously in consideration of a rent charge of £5 5s., left by Mrs. Burdon in 1817 for that purpose.
Thornton is a hamlet and estate adjoining Stainton. It has long been in the possession of the Pennymans, of Ormesby, who had a mansion here, of which nothing remains except the gardens. In an adjoining plantation is a noble cedar of Lebanon, 13 feet 4 inches in girth, and said to be the finest known specimen in England.
Stainsby is a hamlet consisting of three farms, lying about a mile north of the village of Stainton. This estate was long the property and seat of the Gower family, and traces of their old hall are still very visible on the farm occupied by Mr. Struthers.
INGLEBY BARWICK township comprises 1,524 acres of land lying on the south bank of the Tees, and belonging chiefly to Kirkleatham Hospital and the trustees of James Mewburn. The rateable value is £1,570, and the population 132.
At the time of the Domesday Survey, these lands belonged to the Soke of Adam, and there was then a berewick or village here subject to that manor. Subsequently it became a distinct manor, known as Berewyke-juxta-Tees. This estate, comprising upwards of 700 acres, was purchased by Sir William Turner, Knight, and applied to the endowment of the hospital which he had founded at Kirkleatham. The estate is subject to a rent-charge of £59, left by Thomas, Earl of Fauconberg, in 1696, to the Poor Men's Hospital at Coxwold. The Ingleby portion, styled in old records Ingleby-Noringe, includes about one-half of the township. There is no village now, but the evident indications of one may be seen on Ingleby-Barwick farm. Leven and High Leven or New Town are hamlets in the township. At the former there is a small Wesleyan Chapel.
MALTBY township comprises a total area of 1,093 acres, rateable value, £1,237; and population (1881), 113, The manor was formerly the property and residence of a family that took its name from the place. The lordship has since passed through other hands, and is now held by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The Earl of Harewood, J. S. Pennyman, Esq., George Jackson, and the executors of W. Goldsbrough are the principal landowners. The village, which is small, is seated on an eminence, 3½ miles E by N of Yarm. The Wesleyans have a small chapel here, built in 1879 at a cost of £140.
HEMLINGTON is another township in this parish containing 1,118 acres and 103 inhabitants, who dwell in houses scattered over the township. For rating purposes it is valued at £1,262. The earliest recorded owner of Hemlington was Robert de Brus. It afterwards came into the possession of the Stutevilles, lords of Knaresborough and Kirbymoorside, and was carried in marriage by Joan de Stuteville to Hugh de Wake in the reign of Henry VIII, In the 13th of Elizabeth (1570), Hemlington was the property of Richard Neville, Earl of Westmoreland, who was attainted of high treason, and his estates were forfeited to the Crown. The township new belongs to several freehold owners, the principal of whom are Robert C. Appleton, James Emerson, John Mills, and John Goulton, Esqrs., and Capt. Bewicke.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.