STILLINGTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"STILLINGTON, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 10 miles N. of York, its post town, 4 S.E. of Easingwold, and 6½ from Tollerton station on the North-Eastern railway. The village is situated on the Fosse, and is wholly agricultural. The soil is of a sandy and clayey nature, with a subsoil of the same. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £178, in the patronage of the prebend. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas. The living was once held by Sterne, who resided at Sutton, in the neighbourhood. The parochial charities produce about £13 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. The Wesleyans have a chapel, schools, and Sunday-school. Stillington Hall and Stillington Villa are the principal residences. Captain S. Croft is lord of the manor and chief landowner."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013