Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4


If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.


Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: ADEL.     Church dedication: ST. JOHN BAPTIST.     Church type: Rectory in charge.

Area, 5,350 acres. Skirack wapentake, U. D. -Population, 1,063 *1; Church-room, 260 *2; Net value, £633. -This Church, with one carucate of land, the tithes of Arthington, the mediety of the town, and the tithe of the hall there, was given by Ralph Paganel to the Priory of the Holy Trinity in York : though in the register of Kirkstall Abbey, it is pretended that the donation was to that house. At the Dissolution, the advowson was granted to the Canons of Christ Church, who presented once, it then reverted to the Crown. In 1606, the Arthington family became possessed of the advowson.

Patron, Major-General Davy.

In the first taxation of Pope Nicholas, the Church of Adell is valued at £17. 6s. 8d.; in the new, at £26. In the King's Books at £16. 3s. 2d. A pension of £6. 13s. 4d. was formerly paid to the Prior of the Holy Trinity. Synodals, 4s. Procurations, 7s. 6d.

In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 329, it is remarked as follows:" The Church very ill situate, viz. at the emptiest part of the parish, and furthest distant from the most populous part thereof, therefore we do join with the desires of the parishioners that the said parish Church may be removed by the approbation of the State, and rebuilt in the centre of the parish, which the parishioners are willing to do at their own charges : they have orders therefore."

Inclosure Act, 47th Geo. III.

Dr. Whitaker was of opinion that this parish was detached from the Saxon parish of Leeds, when the Church was founded at Addle, a little before the year 1100. The doctor gives a catalogue of the Rectors, a section of the Church, and an engraving of the porch entrance to the choir and the Roman capitals; also a plate of two Roman altars.

There is a glebe house fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1606.

Several Roman antiquities have been found here.

The Priory of Arthington, a nunnery of the order of St. Benedict, was situate in this parish. It was founded by Peter de Arthington, in the latter part of the reign of King Stephen, or in the beginning of the reign of King Henry II. It was valued at the Dissolution at £11. 8s. 41d. per annum. The last prioress was Elizabeth Hall, who had a pension given her of £5 per annum. Not a vestige of the Priory is now to be seen.

Thomas Kirk, by will, dated 19th July 1701, gave £800 to be laid out in lands, the rents to be applied by the minister, churchwardens, and overseers, as follows, viz.: 13s. 4d. in bread every Sabbath day, among the poor of Cookridge and Addle parish ; 20s. per annum to the minister, to preach two sermons yearly, one on St. Thomas's Day and the other on Ascension Day ; 5s. to the clerk on each of the said days for his attendance, and 13s. 4d. in bread to the poor on each of the said days. There are 58 acres at Hampsthwaite and Killinghall, and 17 acres at Darley. A larger quantity of bread is now given.

Dean Hitch's dole (vide Guiseley). £2 per annum is appropriated, one half of it to each of the two constablewicks, and is distributed at Christmas.

Mitchell's dole. 10s. per annum is paid out of the nunnery estate at Arthington, at Christmas. Given by a person named Mitchell, formerly a proprietor of the estate.

School charity. £6 a year is paid by Colonel Davy, of Tracy Park, near Bath, to two schoolmasters of Addle and Arthington, viz. £3 each. It is not known how or by whom the fund was given. -Vide 15th Report, page 648.

Post town: Leeds.

Vid. Bawdwen's Domesday Book, page 85. Mon. Angl. vol. iv. page 680. Tanner's Notitia, page 641. Burton's Monasticon, page 288. Torre's MS. page 253. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. page 108. Loidis et Elmete, page 174. Parsons's Leeds, vol. i. page 446. Thoresby, page 157, and Philosoph. Trans. No. 222, page 319, and No. 283, page 1258.

*1 Viz. Addle cum Eccup, 703; and Arthington, 300. Brearey and Cookridge arc included in the return of Addle cum Eccup.

*2 In 1818, a return was made of 300 sittings.

From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.