Hide

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Aldborough:

hide
Hide
Hide


"BOROUGHBRIDGE, in the parish of Aldborough, lower-division of Claro; (the seat of Mrs. Lawson,) 6 miles from Ripon, 7 from Knaresborough, 10 from Harrogate, 11 from Thirsk, 12 from Wetherby, 17 from York and Bedale, 19 from Northallerton, 22 from Catterick, 206 from London. Market, Saturday. Fairs, April 27 and 28, for horned cattle and sheep; June 22, for horned cattle, horses, &c. 23 for sheep, and the week preceding, for hardware woollen cloth, pedlaryware, &c. October 23 and 24, for horned cattle and sheep. Bankers, Messrs. Fletcher, Stubbs, Dew, and Stott, draw on Sir Richard Carr Glyn, Bart. Mills, and Co. 12, Birchin Lane. Principal Inns, Crown, and Three Greyhounds. Pop. 860. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. James, in the deanry of Richmond, diocese of Chester, value, £10. p.r. £48. 16s. 8d. Patron, the Vicar of Aldborough." (There is further information for Boroughbridge).


"BRANTON GREEN, a hamlet in the township of Upper Dunsforth with Branton Green, and parish of Aldborough; 4 miles E. of Boroughbridge, 10 from Ripon, 11 from Knaresborough. Pop. included in Upper Dunsforth."


"LOWER DUNSFORTH, in the parish of Aldborough, upper-division of Claro; 3 miles from Boroughbridge, 8 from Knaresborough. Pop. 115. The Church, peculiar, is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Mary, value, p.r. ~£35. 10s. Patron, the Vicar of Aldborough."


"MINSKIP, in the parish of Aldborough, lower-division of Claro, liberty of St. Peter; 1½ mile S. of Boroughbridge, 5½ from Knaresborough, 7 from Ripon. Pop. 243."


"ROECLIFFE, in the parish of Aldborough, lower-division of Claro; 1¾ miles from Boroughbridge, 8 from Knaresborough. Pop. 248."


"UPPER DUNSFORTH, in the parish of Aldborough, upper-division of Claro; 3 miles from Boroughbridge, 7 from Knaresborough. Pop. including Branton Green, 156, which being united, form a township."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]