ARKSEY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"ARKSEY, a parish in the northern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH and TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles N.E. from Doncaster, containing, with the township of Bentley, 1171 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £12. 17. 6., and in the patronage of Sir William Bryan Cooke, Bart. The church is dedicated to All Saints. Here is a free grammar school, erected iu pursuance of the will of Sir George Cooke, with an endowment of £40 per annum, left by Sir Bryan Cooke. An hospital for twelve poor inhabitants is endowed with £ 120 per annum."
"BENTLEY, a township in the parish of ARKSEY, in the northern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH and TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles N.N.W. from Doncaster. The population is returned with the parish. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]