BARNOLDSWICK: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.
"BARNOLDSWICK, is a considerable village and town-ship, in the parish of its name, in the same wapentake and riding as Gisburn, 4 miles from that town, and 9 from Skipton; situated within a quarter of a mile of the Leeds and Liverpool canal. Cotton spinning and the manufacture of cotton goods is carried on here rather extensively. The places of worship are the parish church and a chapel each for Wesleyan methodists and baptists. The church, which is dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient edifice, situated about a mile s.w. from the village, on the verge of a deep glen, whence it was formerly known by the name of Gill Kirk. The living is a vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. Mordaunt Barnard; the Rev. Thomas Hayes, is the present curate. A monastery, for Cistercian monks, was founded here in 1147, which was afterwards removed to Kirkstall. The parish contained, by the census for 1831, 2,724 inhabitants, and the township 1,682 of that number.
Please see Gisburn Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this township."
[Transcribed by Steve Garton ©2000 from
Pigot's directory (Yorkshire section) 1834]