[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BURTON LEONARD, a parish-town, in the lower-division of Claro, liberties of St. Peter and Knaresborough; 4 miles N. of Ripley, 5 miles from Boroughbridge, Ripon, and Knaresborough, 22 from York. Pop. 518. The Church, peculiar, is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Helen, in the deanry of Boroughbridge, diocese of Chester, value, ~£3. 1s. 0½d. p.r. *£73. 10s. Patron, the Dean and Chapter of York."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
- Transcript of the entry for Burton Leonard in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Burton Leonard.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Burton Leonard to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE327638 (Lat/Lon: 54.069104, -1.501818), Burton Leonard which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.