Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: PUDSEY. Church dedication: ALL SAINTS.
Morley wapentake. - Population, 7,460, vide Calverley; Chapel-room, 2,000 *1; Net value, £158. -Archbishop Sharp says Mr. Brown, then the Curate, was nominated by the feoffees, with the approbation of the Vicar of Calverley ; the subsequent nominations in 1737, 1762, 1767, and 1814, seem to have been made by the Vicar alone.
The Chapel was founded before the Reformation, but a new one has been built under the Parliamentary grant.
Architecture Gothic, with tower and pinnacles. First stone laid 19th July 1821. Cost, £13,362. 8s. -Vide 4th Report, page 3.
The old Chapel is not taken down, but is disused.
In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 313, the Chapelry is recommended to be made a parish.
Augmented in 1733 with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from Mr. Richard Hey and others ; in 1829 with £200, to meet benefactions of £100 from Colonel Tempest and others, and £100 from Mrs. Pyncombe's trustees; and in 1833 with £200 from the Parliamentary grant, to meet benefactions of £50 from the Rev. D. Jenkins, and £150 from Mr. Marshall's trustees.
An Inclosure Act was passed 51st Geo. III.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
A mortgage of £176 under Gilbert's Act, will cease in 1850.
The Register Books commence in 1813. The previous entries were at Calverley.
Joseph Lepton's gift, by will, dated 6th November 1715. Rent of close, containing 4a. 3r. (after deducting £3 per annum for a Dissenting Minister), to poor persons legally settled in the township, but not receiving the town's allowance.
Jacob Simpson's charity, by will, dated in 1737. Interest of £100. This is applied by the Curate for the instruction in reading of seven poor children.
Mrs. Gibson's dole. Interest of £40 to the poor. Paid by the overseers.
Whiteley's rent-charge. 10s. per annum to the poor.
Gervoise Neville's gift, by will, dated 13th May 1726. Interest of £5 for the poor in bread. - Vide 17th Report, page 733.
Post town: Bradford.
Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 178. Notitia Parochialia, No. 994. Torre does not notice this Chapelry.
*1 Of which 756 are free sittings. In 1818, the return was 550.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.