Conisbrough, Yorkshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1834.
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.
"CONISBROUGH, is a handsome and well - built village in the parish of its name, in the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, West Riding; situated on a bold acclivity, between the river Don and the road leading from Doncaster to Sheffield, 5 miles s.w. from the former, 12 n.e. from the latter town; and one mile from Strafforth Sands, from which a part of the appellation of the wapentake in which it stands is derived. Though now but inconsiderable as respects population, extent or trade, it is a place possessing claims to notice as one of high antiquity; having been connected with all the different dynasties by which Britain has been governed. The Britons called it Caer Conan, and the Saxons, Conan Burgh, both meaning a royal town: it is also stated to have been the seat of a civil jurisdiction, extending over twenty-eight towns. It is now chiefly celebrated for the ruins of its ancient castle, of Saxon origin; which crown the summit of a conical eminence above the river Don, at the east end of the village; and where is laid one of the principal scenes in the popular romance of Ivanhoe, by the late Sir Walter Scott. In this castle, Richard, Earl of Cambridge, second son of the Duke of York, and grandson of Edward 3rd was born. The round tower, or keep, is almost perfect; the rest forms a picturesque ruin. The Duke of Leeds is the lord of the extensive honour and manor of Conisbrough.
The places of worship are the church, and a chapel for Wesleyan methodists. The church, which is dedicated to St. Peter, is of Norman architecture, combined with the decorated and later English styles: it had a chantry founded in the 14th of Edward 2nd. The interior of the church contains several monuments, some of which are interesting; with a curious stone embellished with many hieroglyphics. The living of Conisbrough is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the Archbishop of York, and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Spooner Markham. The parish contained, according to the parliamentary returns for 1821, 1,142 inhabitants, and in 1831, 1,347."
[Transcribed by Steve Garton ©2000 from
Pigot's directory (Yorkshire section) 1834]