MARKENFIELD HALL, a farm-house (extra-parochial), in the township of Markenfield with Wallerthwaite, lower-division of Claro, liberty of Ripon; 3½ miles S. of Ripon.
This was once the seat of a family of that name, of whom, Sir Ninian, was present at the battle of Flodden Field, in the year 1513; it is now in the hands of his successor.
"Next went Sir Ninian Markenville,
In armour coat, of cunning work;
The next went Sir John Normanville,
With him the citizens of York."
Sir Thomas Markenfield joining in the rebellion against Queen Elizabeth, in the year 1569, his estate was forfeited; and he, with many others, was obliged to take refuge in a foreign country. The estate was granted to Chancellor Egerton, and remained in that family till it was purchased of the Duke of Bridgewater, by the first Lord Grantley.
It was moated round, and three fourths of the moat is still filled with water. It is now occupied as a farm House, the turrets of which are seen from the Leeds road, on the left hand, as you pass from Harrogate to Ripon.
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]