In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Guiseley:
"ACACIA COT, (the seat of Richard Fawcett, Esq.) in the township and parish of Guiseley, 4 miles from Bradford."
"CARLTON, (East and West) in the parish of Guiseley, upper-division of Skyrack; 2 miles SE. of Otley, 8 from Bradford, 9 from Leeds. West Carlton is a single house 1.5 miles to the W. Pop. 158."
"ESHOLT, in the parish of Guiseley, upper-division of Skyrack, liberty of Cawood, Wistow and Otley; (Esholt Hall, the seat of Joshua Crompton, Esq.) 5 miles N. of Bradford and Otley, 9 from Leeds. Pop. 355.
Here was a priory of about six Cistercian nuns, founded by Simon de Ward, about the middle of the 12th century, dedicated to St. Mary and St. Leonard. This priory fell with the small houses, and was valued at £13. 0s. 4d. --Dugdale, £19. 8d. --Speed. The site was granted in I. Edward VI. 1547, to Henry Thompson, ancestor of those families of the Thompsons, now living in and near York. The estate was afterwards transferred to the house of Calverley, by the marriage of Frances, daughter and heiress of Henry Thompson, Esq. with Sir Walter Calverley. His son, Sir Walter Calverley, Bart. built on the site, in the early part of the last century, a very magnificent house, called Esholt priory, or hall. About 1754 5, this house and furniture were sold to Robert Stansfield, Esq. of Bradford, in the line of whose collateral descendants it has passed to the present proprietor, Joshua Crompton, Esq. of Derby, he having married Ann Marie, the third daughter of Wm. Rookes, of Roydes Hall, Esq. by Ann his wife, the heiress of Robert Stansfield. A few pointed arches in some of the offices alone remain to attest that a religious house once occupied the site. --Burton. --Whitaker's Loidis and Elmete."
"HORSFORTH, in the parish of Guiseley, upper-division of Skyrack; (New Hall, the residence of the Rev. J.A. Rhodes) 6 miles NW Leeds and 6 from Otley. Pop. 2,824. The Church is a perpetual curacy, value, p.r. £73.
Horsforth is a large well built village, where the manufacturing of Woollen Cloth is carried on to a great extent. A very handsome Chapel was erected here in 1758, under the auspices of the Stanhope family, descendants of John Stanhope, joint purchaser of the Manor of Horsforth, in the time of Elizabeth. The Abbot of Kirkstall had much land in this township. On the lofty ridge of Billinge, near here, says Whitaker's Ducatus Leodiensis, "was found, about the year 1780, a valuable remain of British antiquity. This was a torques of pure and flexible gold, perfectly plain, and consisting of two rods, not quite cylindrical, but growing thicker towards the extremities, and twisted together. Its intrinsic value was £18. sterling.""
"NETHER YEADON, in the township of Upper Yeadon, and parish of Guiseley, upper-division of Skyrack; 4¼ miles S. of Otley, 5½ from Bradford, 9 from Leeds."
"NEW LAITHS, a single house in the township of Horsforth, and parish of Guiseley; 5 miles WNW. of Leeds."
"PARK GATE HALL, a single house in the township and parish of Guiseley; 2½ miles from Otley, 10 from Leeds."
"RAWDON, in the parish of Guiseley, upper-division of Skyrack; 4 miles S. of Otley 6 from Bradford, 7 from Leeds. Pop. 1,759. The Church is a perpetual curacy, value, p.r. *£109.
This was the ancient seat of the noble family of Rawden, Earls of Moira. Paulinus de Rawden commanded a body of archers, under William the Conqueror, and had this estate, amongst others, granted to him for his services. In Rawden Hall, are several vestiges, that have a peculiar air of antiquity, which bespeak the dignity and wealth of its ancient owners. Of this family, was Sir George Rawden, who, with 200 Englishmen, repulsed Sir Philem O'Neal, and 2,000 Irish, in 1641, at Lisburne, in Ireland, where they had massacred 40,000 Protestants. --Camden. --Whitaker's Ducatus Leodiensis."
"SCOTLAND, a hamlet in the township of Horsforth, and parish of Guiseley; 4 miles from Otley, 6 from Leeds."
"UPPERWOOD HOUSE, (the seat of John White, Esq.) in the township of Rawden, and parish of Guiseley; 4 miles from Bradford."
"YEADON, in the parish of Guiseley, upper-division of Skyrack; 3¼ miles S. of Otley, 6¼ from Bradford, 5 from Leeds. Pop. 2,455."