"NUN MONKTON, a parish in the wapentake of Upper Claro, West Riding county York, 8 miles N.W. of York, and 1 mile N. of Monkton Moor. It is situated near the junction of the rivers Nidd and Ure. It had formerly a priory of Benedictine nuns, founded in the reign of Stephen by William de Arches and Ivetta his wife, which flourished till the Dissolution, when its revenues amounted to £85 14s. 8d. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable, pasture, and meadow. The village is small, and wholly agricultural. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of York, value £100. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, and formerly belonged to the Benedictine priory. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. The charities produce about £45, of which £33 belong to a .school founded in 1716. J. J. Tufnell, Esq., is lord of the manor."