SAINT JOHNS: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"SAINT JOHNS, a parish, in the township of Throapham, in the S. division of Strafforth wapentake, West Riding county York, 6 miles S.W. of Tickhill. Rotherham is its post town. It includes the hamlets of Gildingwells, Letwell, and Throapham. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the vicarage of Laughton-en-le-Morthen, in the diocese of York. The church, dedicated to St. John, is old."
"LETWELL, a chapelry in the parish of Saint Johns, S. division of the wapentake of Upper Strafforth, West Riding county York, 5 miles S.W. of Tickhill, and 5 N.W. of Shireoak railway station. It is a small agricultural village. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to that of Firbeck, in the diocese of York. The church, dedicated to St. James, is a stone structure, with a tower erected in the early part of the 16th century. Sir Thomas Woollaston White, Bart., is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013