ST. JOHN'S: A Terrier for St. John's, 1809
A Terrier of the Glebe Lands, Tithes and all other Things belonging to the Curacy of St.Johns in the County of York taken the 25th day of May and given in at the Primary Visitation of the Most Reverend Father in God Edward by Divine Providence Lord Archbishop of York held at Sheffield the 21st day of June 1809.
There is no house or outhouse belonging to the Curacy of St.Johns. The Church Yard belongs to the Curate, it is fenced by a Wall, and has a piece of Land belonging to it adjoining containing by estimation One Acre. Also a Money Payment of Three Pounds and seven shillings Yearly in Lieu of small Tithes in that part of Dinnington in the Parish of St.Johns, for which see the Dinnington Award for the Inclosure. Also all the small Tithes at St.Johns, Throapham, Thwait House, and Lingodale House belonging to the Curate of St.Johns. There are also belonging to the said Church One Pewter Flaggon, One Silver Chalice, and Two Pewter Platters, with a Communion Cloth and Napkin. There is one small bell. The Church and Church Yard Fence are repaired at the Expence of the Parishioners. The Chancel belongs to the Prebendary of Laughton en le Morthen or his lessee. The Clerk Collects his wages of the Parishioners by Custom twice in the year, ie. at Christmas and Easter. The Curacy has been augmented three times by the Bounty of Queen Ann, each time with the sum of Two Hundred Pounds, All of which is now laid out in the following Lands lying and being in the Township of Tickhill in the County of York aforesaid. Viz. One Close called the Nether Hindley containing 8 A. 2 r. nearly, and is bound on the East by Lands belonging to Thomas Morris; on the West by Lands belonging to Mr Christopher Alderson; on the North by the Upper Hindleys belonging to the Curacy of Anston, and on the South by the low Hindley Lane.
Also one other Close lying and being in Tickhill aforesaid called the Wonghead containing 4 A. 3 R. 27 P. and is bounded on the East by Lands belonging to Mr. John Dawson; on the West by the Highway leading from Tickhill to Braithwell; on the North by Lands belonging to Mr. John Sharpe and Roger Basket Esq., and on the South by Lands belonging to Mr. Robert Spofforth and Mrs. Mary Welsh. Also one other Close lying and being at Tickhill aforesaid called the High Common Close containing 11 A. 1 R. 24 P. and is bounded on the East by the Road leading to Doncaster from Blith, on the West by Lands belonging to Thomas Conway; on the North by Harrold Lane, and on the South by Lands belonging to John Laughton.
|John Clarke, Curate|
|Robert Wright||George Kawson - ChurchWarden|
|John Elgie||James Green|
from original transcriptions by
Wath and Mexborough Archives
This transcription has not been checked.
If you find an error (small or large) in the transcription please use
the "report problems or contribute information" link at the bottom of this page.