[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"WHALLEY, a parish in the county of Lancashire."
"WHITEWELL, in the township of the Forest of Bowland, lower, and parish of Whalley, (Lanc.) west-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 8 miles NW. of Clitheroe, (Lanc.) 13½ from Gisburn, 17 from Lancaster. Here is a Chapel of Ease under Whalley, built in 1817, value, p.r. £82. 9s."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]