Hide

WHITKIRK: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"WHITKIRK, a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of SKYRACK, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles E. from Leeds, comprising the townships of Austhorpe, Seacroft, Temple - Newsom, and Thorp-Stapleton, and containing 2227 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £13. 5. 7i, endowed with £600 private benefaction, £900 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. In a school, built by subscription, six children are instructed for an annuity of £10, bequeathed by Richard Brooke, in 1702."


"AUSTHORPE, a township in the parish of WHITKIRK, lower division of the wapentake of SKYRACK, West riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles E. from Leeds, containing 150 inhabitants. John Smeaton, distinguished as a civil engineer, who rebuilt the Eddystone lighthouse, was born here, in 1724."


"SEACROFT, a township in the parish of WHITKIRK, lower division of the wapentake of SKYRACK, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles E.N.E. from Leeds, containing 886 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Corporate Seal of Seaford. Obverse- Reverse."


"TEMPLE NEWSOME, a township in the parish of WHITKIRK, lower division of the wapentake of SKYRACK, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles S.E. from Leeds, containing 1166 inhabitants. It is within the' peculiar jurisdiction of the manorial court of Temple-Newsom. The Knights Templars had a preceptory here, which, at the suppression of their order, was granted to Sir John D'Arcy."


"THORPE STAPLETON, a township in the parish of WHITKIRK, lower division of the wapentake of SKYRACK, West riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles S.E. from Leeds, containing 25 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]