Hide

EAST RIDING:

hide
Hide
Hide
Transcript of

"The Seats of Nobility, Gentry and Clergy in
the East Riding of Yorkshire, 1840."

in White's Directory of 1840.


The asterisks * denote Magistrates and the figures in parenthesis show the years in which they took the Oath of Qualification

  • Allerthorpe 2 miles S W of Pocklington, S W Swiney Esq
  • Aldbrough 8 miles N E of Hedon, John Hall Esq
  • Anlaby House 5 miles W of Hull, William Voase Esq
  • Arram Hall 4 miles N W of Hornsea, Thomas Bainton Esq
  • Bainton 6 miles S W of Driffield, Rev Joseph Carter
  • * Barmston 3 miles S of Bridlington, Rev John William Bower [1831]
  • Belle Vue [Fulford] near York, Samuel Herbert Esq
  • Belle Hall 5 miles S of York, H M Baines Esq
  • Bempton 3½ miles N by E of Bridlington, George Walmsley Esq
  • Benningholme Hall 8 miles E of Beverley, Robert Harrison Esq
  • * Bessingby Hall 1½ m S W of Bridlington, Harrington Hudson Esq [1826]
  • * Beverley, Hy Broadley Esq M P [1826]; Robert Wylie Esq [1830]
  • Rev W R Gilby [1820]; Sir Wm Hy Pennyman, Bart;
  • Christopher Machell Esq; Mrs Jane Walker [Hall] and Francis Watt Esq
  • Billing's Hill 3 miles N W of Hornsea, James Hopkinson Esq
  • * Birdsall House 5 miles SSE of Malton, Hy Willoughby Esq [1829]
  • Bishop Burton 3 miles W of Beverley, Richard Watt Esq
  • Boreas Hill, 3 miles S of Hedon, Mrs S Stovin
  • * Boynton Hall 2 m W of Bridlington, Sir G Strickland, Bart M P [1819]
  • * Brandesburton 8½ m N E of Beverley, Rev John Dobson B D [1833]
  • Bridlington, John Rickaby Esq
  • Brinkworth Hall 6 miles E S E of York, Rev John Gatliffe
  • Burnby 2½ miles S E of Pocklington, Miss B Ponsonby
  • Burton Agnes Hall 6 miles S W of Bridlington, Sir Henry Boynton, Bart
  • Burton Constable 5 miles N of Hedon, Sir Thos A C Constable, Bart
  • Burton House 3 miles W by N of Beverley, David Burton Esq
  • Burythorpe House 5 miles S of Malton, William Preston Esq
  • Cave Castle, South Cave, Henry Gee Barnard Esq
  • * Cherry Burton 3 miles N W of Beverley, David Burton Esq [1830]
  • * Clifton House near York, Rev D R Currer [1818]
  • Cottingham 5 miles N W of Hull, Wm Tudor and Wm W Wilkinson Esqrs
  • Cottingham Castle 1 mile W of Cottingham, George Coulson Esq
  • Dalton Hall 6 miles N W of Beverley, Lord Hotham M P
  • Drewton Manor 1½ mile N W of South Cave, Mrs Sarah Baron
  • * Drypool near Hull, Edward Gibson Esq [1831]
  • East Dale House 5 miles S S E of South Cave, Robert Raikes Esq
  • * Ella [Kirk] 5½ miles W N W of Hull, Joseph Smith Egginton [1823] and Joseph Sykes Esqrs [1829]
  • Ella [South] 5 miles W of Hull, John Beadle Esq
  • Ella [West] 6 miles W of Hull, Richard Sykes Esq
  • Ellerker Hall 1 mile S of South Cave, Richard Champney Esq
  • Elvington, 7 miles ESE of York, Geo Chas Cheap and Rt Spence Esqrs
  • Elvington Hall, 7 miles ESE of York, Alfred H Darley Esq
  • Epplewith, 3 miles N of Hull, Henry Holland Esq
  • * Escrick Park, 6 miles SE of York, Lord Wenlock (1820.)
  • Etton High Hall, 6 miles NW of Beverley, Mrs Jane Legard
  • Etton Rectory, 4 miles NW of Beverley, Rev Robert Machell MA
  • * Everingham Park, 5m W of Market Weighton; Wm C Maxwell Esq (1829.)
  • Fangfoss Hall, 3½ miles NW of Pocklington, George Legard Esq (1837)
  • Ferriby, (North) 4½m SE of South Cave, W W Bolton, & S H Egginton Esqrs
  • Firby Hall, 6 miles SSW of Malton, Mrs Ann Harrison
  • Fitling Hall, 6½ miles NE of Hedon, William Wright Esq
  • Flockton, 2½ miles NW of Hunmanby, Rev. H. Phillips
  • Fulford, (Gate) 1½m SSE of York, Wm H Hearon & Thos Wood Esqrs; Rt Rev John
  • Briggs DD Catholic Bishop; & Miss Emily Cholmley
  • Fulford, (Water) 2½ miles S of York, John Key Esq
  • * Ganton Hall, 8 miles W of Hunmanby, Sir Thos D Legard Bart. (1831)
  • Garrowby House, 7 miles N of Pocklington, Sir Francis L Wood Baronet
  • * Garrow Hill, 1 mile SE of York, Thomas Barstow Esq (1818)
  • * Goodmanham, 1½m ENE of Market Weighton, Rev W Blow (1832) and John Clarke Esq
  • Grimston Hill, 3 miles E of York, James Hopkinson Esq
  • * Grimston Garth, 9 miles NE of Hedon, Charles Grimstone Esq (1820)
  • Hayholme, 6 miles SE of Driffield, Mrs Ann, & John B Harrison Esq
  • * Heslerton, (West) 2 miles ENE of Malton, Rev W Canning (1825) and Mark Foulis Esq (1827)
  • Heslington, 2 miles SSE of York, Nicholas Yarburgh Esq
  • Hessle, 5 miles WSW of Hull, Francis Hall and Henry Pease, Esq; James Gadsden,
  • Esq (Grange) and T B Locke Esq (Mount)
  • * Hessle Wood House, 6 miles W of Hull, J R Pease Esq (1824)
  • * Holme Hall, 5 miles SW of Market Weighton, Hon P Stourton (1837)
  • Hotham, 3 miles NW of South Cave, Rev Edward Stillingfleet; E M Whyte Esq; and
  • Henry Burton Esq, Hotham Hall
  • * Houghton Hall, 2½m SE of Market Weighton, Hon C Langdale MP (1829)
  • Howden, Robert Dunn Esq and Mrs Mary Ann Worsop (Hall)
  • * Howsham Hall, 8 miles by W of Malton, Geo Cholmley Esq (1829)
  • * Hull Bank House, 3 miles N of Hull, Benjamin Haworth Esq (1839)
  • * Humbleton, 5 miles NE by N of Hedon, Rev John Jadis (1833)
  • Hunmanby Hall, 9 miles S by E of Scarborough, B O Mitford Esq
  • Hunsley House, 3 miles NNE of South Cave, Robert Fawsitt Esq
  • Kilnwick Hall, 7 miles S by W of Driffield, Charles Grimston Esq
  • * Kilnwick Percy, 1½ mile E of Pocklington, Robert Denison Esq (1809)
  • Kirby Underdale, 7 miles N of Pocklington, Rev C Thirlwall MA
  • Kirkham Hall, 6m SW of Malton, Edward C. Taylor Esq
  • Knapton Hall, 7m NE of Malton, James Tindall Esq
  • * Knedlington, 1m W of Howden, Thomas Clark Esq (1831)
  • Langton Hall, 3m S of Malton, Norcliffe Norcliffe Esq
  • Latham, 8m N of Howden, Robert N Nottingham Esq (& York)
  • Lingcroft Lodge, 3m S of York, E E Grimston Esq
  • Londesborough, 3 miles N of Market Weighton, Hon and Rev William George Howard
  • Lutton Hall, 9 miles NW of Driffield, Mrs Eliz Brown
  • Marton House 2 miles NE of Bridlington, Misses Creyke
  • Melbourne Hall, 5 miles SSW of Pocklington, Sir Henry M Vavasour
  • Melton, 9 miles W of Hull, A F Reynolds and C Whitaker Esqrs
  • * Middleton Rectory, 7 miles NE of Market Weighton, Rev John Blanchard MA (1828)
  • * Moreby Hall, 5½ miles S of York, Henry Preston Esq (1828)
  • Naburn Hall, 4 miles S of York, George Palmes Esq
  • Neswick Hall, 5 miles SSW of Driffield, John Grimston Esq
  • Newbald, (North) 3 miles N of South Cave, John William Clough Esq
  • Newton House, 6 miles ENE of Malton, Sir G Strickland (& Boynton)
  • Oxton Lodge, 3 miles W by N of Bridlington, C R Harrison Esq
  • Painsthorpe, 7 miles N of Pocklington, Rear Admiral Charles Richardson
  • * Pocklington, Rev Robert Metcalfe (1838)
  • Pockthorpe, 4 miles NW of Driffield, Rev Francis Keeling
  • Ravine Villa, 7½ miles SE of Scarborough, H Bentley Esq
  • Raywell, 6 miles W by N of Hull, Daniel Sykes Esq
  • * Riccall, 5½ miles N of Selby, Rev William Parker and Mrs and E W Richardson Esq
  • * Rise Hall, 6 miles SW of Hornsea, Richard Bethell Esq MP (1801)
  • Risome Garth, 2½ miles E of Patrington, G H Sherwood Esq
  • Riston Grange, 6½ miles ENE of Beverley, John Jackson Esq
  • * Roos, 8 miles E by N of Hedon, Rev Christopher Sykes (1804)
  • * Ross-moor Lodge, 5 miles SSW of Pocklington, Lieut-General James Wharton (1819)
  • Rowley, 3 miles ENE of South Cave, Rev Edward L Thoroton MA
  • Rowlston, 2 miles SSE of Hornsea, B Haworth Esq
  • * Saltmarshe Hall, 4 miles SE of Howden, P Saltmarshe Esq (1815)
  • Sand Hall, 3 miles SW of Howden, William Schofield Esq
  • Scampston Hall, 6 miles NE of Malton, William St Quintin Esq
  • Scorborough Hall, 5 miles N of Beverley, J Hall Esq
  • * Sculcoates, near Hull, Edw Ker (1833) & J C Parker Esqrs (1833)
  • Setterington, 4 miles S by E of Malton, T.C. Hicks Esq and Venerable H J Todd
  • * Sewerby Hall, 1½m NE of Bridlington, J & Y Greame Esqrs (1820)
  • Sigglesthorpe Hall, 4 miles WSW of Hornsea, W W Whitaker Esq and Rev William
  • Harvey Edward Bentinck AM Rectory
  • Skipwith Hall, 5½ miles NNE of Selby, John P Toulson Esq
  • Sledmere House, 8 miles NW of Driffield, Sir Tatton Sykes Bart.
  • South Thorpe Lodge, near Driffield, Christopher Harrison Esq
  • Spring Head, 3 miles WNW of Hull, Samuel Lightfoot Esq
  • Sunderlandwick, 2½ miles SSW of Driffield, E H Reynard Esq
  • Sutton House, 3 miles NNE of Hull, George Liddell Esq
  • Sutton-on-Derwent, 7 miles ESE of York, Col Richard G Hare
  • Swanland Hall, 7 miles W of Hull, John Todd Esq
  • Swaythorpe Hall, 6 miles NNE of Driffield, James Hall Esq
  • Thicksett Priory, 10 miles SE of York, Rev Joseph D Jefferson MA
  • Thorpe-Brantingham, 2 miles SE of South Cave, R F Shawe Esq
  • * Thorpe Hall, 5 miles W of Bridlington, Hon A W Bosvile (1835)
  • Thorganby Hall, 10 miles SE of York, J D Jefferson Esq
  • Thornthorpe, 3 miles S of Malton, William Taylor Esq
  • Tickton Grange, 2 miles NE of Beverley, Smith Wormald Esq
  • Tranby House, 6 miles W of Hull, John Barkworth Esq
  • * Tranby Park, 6 miles W of Hull, John Todd Esq (1831)
  • Turnham Hall, 5 miles ESE of Selby, Wm Burton Esq
  • * Walkington, 2½ miles WSW of Beverley, Rev D Ferguson BA (1816)
  • Warter Priory, 4 miles NE of Pocklington, Lord & Dowager Lady Muncaster
  • * Wassand Hall, 16 miles NNE of Beverley, Rev Chas Constable (1806)
  • * Wawn, 6 miles N of Hull, James K Watson Esq(1837)
  • Welliam, 1 mile S of Malton, Robert Bower Esq
  • Welton Garth, 4 miles SSE of South Cave, Mrs Ann Raikes
  • Wetwang, 6 miles W of Driffield, Thomas Wilberfoss Esq
  • Wheldrake Rectory, 8 miles SE of York, Rev Robert Brian Cooke
  • Winestead, 2 miles NW of Patrington, Col Thomas Thornton; and Mrs Hilyard,
  • mostly at Flintham Hall, Notts
  • Wold Cottage, 8 miles WNW of Bridlington, J Laybourn Esq
  • Wolfreton Lodge, 5 miles W of Hull, Joseph Sykes Esq
  • Woodhall, 8 miles NE by N of Hull, Mrs Ann Maister
  • Woodhall, 6 miles E of Selby, Robert Menzies Esq
  • Woodhouse, 8 miles S by W of Malton, John Hudson gentleman
  • Wyton, 4 miles N of Hedon, George Barkworth and Robert Bell Esqrs
  • Yeddingham Cottage, 9 miles NE of Malton, William-Thompson gent

Transcribed by:
Marilyn Smith
and
Maureen Reynolds ©2000