In 1868, the parish of Kilmacrehy contained the following places:
"KILMACREHY, a parish in the barony of Corcomroe, county Clare, province of Munster, Ireland, 4 miles W.N.W. of Ennistimon, its post town. The parish consists of a main and of a detached district, and contains the villages of Liscanor and Lehinch. The surface is open to the Atlantic, near Hag's Head. It has a bold coast line, defended by cliffs, abounding in sea-fowl. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Kilfenora, value with Kilmanaheen, £141, in the patronage of the bishop. The Roman Catholic chapel is united to that of Kilaspughlenane. The chief seats are Birchfield and Moher, the latter situated at a very sublime part of the coast. There is a signal-tower on Hag's Head."
"LISCANNOR, a village in the parish of Kilmacrehy, barony of Corcomroe, county Clare, Ireland, 4 miles W. of Ennistymon. It is a fishing village, situated at the river Inagh's mouth, on Liscarmor Bay, which is 4 miles by 2, but exposed to the winds. The principal residence is Liscarmor House. In the vicinity are remains of O'Conor's old castle."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018