It is situated on the bay of Clonakilty, in which is the island from which it takes its name. In 1390, De Courcy, Baron of Kinsale, and his brother Patrick, were put to death by the Irish of Carbery under the comISL mand of Daniel Moel McCarty Reagh. In 1584, the island, having escheated to the Crown, was granted by- Queen Elizabeth to the Bishop of Ross. After the battle of Clonakilty, in 1642, 600 of the Irish forces fled towards this island as a place of refuge; but the tide setting in at the time, they were all drowned before they could reach it. An extensive strand surrounds the base of the island, which is dry at low water; it comprises more than 1000 acres of rich alluvial soil, which might be reclaimed from the sea and brought into profitable cultivation. The parish contains 2502 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the land is fertile and in a state of high cultivation; it is principally under tillage, with some rich pasture; the system of agriculture is improved, and there is neither waste land nor bog. Sea manure is obtained in abundance, and is brought in by sand boats and lighters daily. The principal seats are Island House, that of T. Hungerford, Esq., pleasantly situated in a retired and sheltered part of the island; and Dunowen, of Geo. Sandes, Esq., occupying an interesting site on the mainland. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ross, formerly united to those of Kilgarriffe, Castleventry, Kilkerranmore, Ardfert, and Desart, from which it was severed in 1829, and now solely constitutes the prebend of Island in the cathedral of Ross, with which are held the vicarages of Kilgarriffe and Desart, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in the representatives of F. Townsend, Esq. The tithes of the prebend amount to £260, and of the benefices held with it, to £250. In the R. C. divisions the parish is partly in the union of Clonakilty, and partly in that of Rathbarry.
Near Dunmore is a rich vein of lead ore, containing nearly 15 per cent. of pure silver; it is close upon the shore, but has not been worked with perseverance. On an elevated site in the north-western part of the island are the ruins of the old church.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Island to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W3772739025 (Lat/Lon: 51.600902, -8.899462), Island which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
537727,539025and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)