The church, a small edifice, for the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits gave £600, is nearly in the centre of the parish. There is neither glebe-house nor glebe. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Aghadown: the chapel is a large edifice, situated near the Roaring Water. About 60 children are taught in the parochial school, and there is a private school, in which are about 80 children. On a point of land at the head of Roaring Water bay are the extensive remains of Kilcoe castle, built by the McCartys, lords of Clandermot, and consisting principally of a large massive square tower, with a small turret; and at no great distance, close to the shore, are the ruins of the old parish church. Several swords and spear-heads of bronze were found in 1825, by some labourers quarrying stone; they were all in good preservation.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilcoe to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W0184035698 (Lat/Lon: 51.5659, -9.416327), Kilcoe which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
501840,535698and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)