J. C. Mongan. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cloyne, and in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £420. There is a large and handsome glebe-house, for the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits, in 1814, gave £100 and lent £900: the glebe comprises 29a. 0r. 28p. The church is a large handsome edifice with a square tower: it was built in 1808 by a gift of £600 from the same Board, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted £235 for its repair. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, also called Theronadromman, comprising the parishes of Kilnamartry and Ballyvourney, and part of Clondrohid, and containing a chapel at Caradagher, and one in Ballyvourney; the former is a large plain substantial building. The parochial school is supported by the rector, and there is one connected with the R. C. chapel, in which together about 50 children are educated; and about 120 are taught in three private schools. The castle of Kilredagh stands on a lofty hill and commands the passes of both the rivers which bound this parish. It was very strongly built, and remained tolerably entire till 1833, when a considerable part fell.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilnamartery to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W2351971856 (Lat/Lon: 51.894164, -9.111697), Kilnamartery which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
523519,571856and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)