Hide

Rosskeen

hide
Hide
ROSKEEN, or RUSHEEN, a parish, in the barony of DUHALLOW, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (S. E.) from Kanturk, on the road to Mallow; containing 591 inhabitants. It is bounded on the south by the river Blackwater, which is here crossed by a stone bridge of ten arches. Near this bridge commences the new Government road, which at Clonbanin branches off on the right to King-William's-Town and Castle-Island, and on the left towards Killarney. The parish comprises 1795 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; the land is in general good and chiefly in tillage, and the state of agriculture has of late years undergone considerable improvement. On the lands of Pallis, the estate of Robt. Phayre, Esq., are several beds of culm, which have not yet been worked; limestone is also found on that estate, and brownstone adapted for ordinary building purposes is found in other parts of the parish. The Blackwater is here very rapid and subject to floods, but at ordinary times is fordable in several places. Roskeen House, the residence of Pierce Power, Esq., is pleasantly situated near the river and commands a fine view of the majestic mountain of St.

Hilary. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, forming part of the union of Clonmeen: the rectory is impropriate in Robt. Phayre, Esq. The tithes amount to £80. 10. 7., of which £55 is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Castlemagner.

from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.

Hide
topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Rosskeen which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

topup

Historical Geography

The civil parish of Rosskeen contained the townlands of:
topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W4533098779 (Lat/Lon: 52.138669, -8.799209), Rosskeen which are provided by: