2nd, and Dec. 8th, chiefly for cattle. The gentlemen's seats are Mount Pleasant, the residence of H. Baldwin, Esq., a handsome mansion on a commanding eminence in a highly improved demesne; Gurrane, a newly erected and handsome house, near the old family mansion, the residence of J. Splaine, Esq.; Mossgrove, of S. Baldwin, Esq.; Scartnamuek, of B. Popham, Esq.; Old Park, of H. Gillman, Esq.; and the glebe-house, of the Rev. F. C. Sullivan. The. living is a rectory and perpetual cure, in the diocese of Cork; the rectory forming part of the union of Templebready and of the corps of the deanery of St. Finbarr's, Cork; the perpetual curacy is in the gift of the Dean. The tithes amount to £519, of which £500 is payable to the dean, and £19 to the perpetual curate, who also receives £30 per ann.
from Primate Boulter's augmentation fund. The glebehouse was built by aid of a gift of £450 and a loan of £50, in 1815, from the late Board of First Fruits: the glebe comprises 16¼ acres. The church is a plain building, with a square tower 50 feet high, erected by aid of a gift of £500, in 1793, from the same Board. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising the parishes of Templemartin, Killowen, and part of Kilbrogan: the chapel is a small plain edifice. The male and female parochial school, in which are about 30 children, is aided by the dean and local subscriptions, and has a house and an acre of land rent-free from the Duke of Devonshire: there is also a private school, in which are about 40 children, and a Sunday school is superintended by the curate.
At Gurrane are the ruins of an old fortified mansion of the Baldwins, who acquired the estate by purchase from the Maskelyne family, in 1612: it appears to have been surrounded by a wall, in the angles of which, and at one end of the house, were round turrets three of which are standing. A subterraneous passage leading from the house to the adjacent bog is still visible, the entrance to which was by an aperture covered by the hearth-stone of a room on the ground floor. There are also many Danish raths in the parish, one on the lands of Gurrane, including three acres, and surrounded by three ramparts and a fosse; another at Castle-Lac, where are four upright stones of clay-slate, respectively 12, 9, and 6 feet high; they are supposed to be druidical, or to have been erected to commemorate a victory obtained here by the Danes in 968. On the same ploughland was formerly a castle, now quite demolished.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Templemartin to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W4535661145 (Lat/Lon: 51.800484, -8.792837), Templemartin which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
545356,561145and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)