FAHAN-LOWER, a parish, in the barony of ENNISHOWEN, county of Donegal, and province of ULSTER, containing, with the post-town of Bunerana (which is described under its own head), Mill inhabitants.
This parish originally formed the Lower, or Northern portion of the extensive parish of Fahan, from which it. was separated in I795; it in bounded on the west by Lough Kwilly, and comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 24,782 ¾.statute acres. A great portion is mountain, affording good pasturagc, of which Slieve Snaght, on the north-eastern boundary, rises, according to the above survey, 2019 feet above the level oi' the sea. The valleys are well watered and productive, and agriculture is improving. FreeMtone is abundant, and limeHtoue. i.s found in aUnont every part: there are also indications of lead, copper, and iron are. There is a coast-guard station at Balli nary; and at Neids' point is a battery, erected in 1812, now under the care of a muster-gunner and five artillerymen. Lough Swilly is very spacios and deep, affording anchorage for large ships; vast numbers of oysters, cod, and haddock are taken in it. Here are many gentlemen's seats, the principal of which are Buncrana Castle, the residence of Mrs. Todd, which was once the seat of the powerful sept of The O'Doherty, who governed the entire country for several centuries; the Lodge, unoccupied; Rockfort, of the Rev. W. H.
Stuart; Townsend Lodge, of Col. Downing; River- View, of W. Camac, Esq.; and the Cottage, belonging to Dr. Evans. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Derry, and in the patronage of the Rector of Upper Fahan: the tithes amount to £420. The church, in the town of Buncrana, was built in 1804, by aid of a gift of £500, and considerably enlarged by a loan of £390 in 1816, from the late Board of First Fruits; the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £370 for its further enlargement and repair. In the R. C.
divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Upper and Lower Fahan and Desertegney; there is a large chapel at Cock Hill. At Buncrana is a meetinghouse far Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster; and the Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists have each a place of worship. The parochial school, at Buncrana, is aided by the trustees of Erasmus Smith's charity: there are also male and female schools at Luddon, and a national school at Cock Hill. In these schools about 280 children are instructed; and there are eight private schools, in which are about 320 children, and a Sunday school. Not far from Ballinary is a very curious fort, or cairn, called Dooninary, chiefly composed of loose stones, having smaller ones as outposts.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
Buncrana on wikipedia
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Fahan Lower to another place.
The page for Fahan Lower from Donegal Genealogy Resources
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference C3852135726 (Lat/Lon: 55.167184, -7.396317), Fahan Lower which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
Fahan Lowerand paste it along with the county name into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)